Línea Abierta : CHILD MIGRANTS CAUGHT IN THE SYSTEM.
- Title: CHILD MIGRANTS CAUGHT IN THE SYSTEM.
- Guest: Nithya Nathan
- Additional Guests: Kathrine Russell
- Host: Chelis López
- Date: WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2012
- Description: CHILD MIGRANTS CAUGHT IN THE SYSTEM. Even as overall migration from Latin America has fallen, more and more unaccompanied minors are being caught crossing the border and put into deportation proceedings.
- Genre: News
- Location: Oakland, CA
- Program Number: 6783
- Producer: Samuel Orozco
- Progam Number: 6783
- Publisher: Radio Bilingüe
- Rights: Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License
- Subject: Politics, Immigration
- Year: 2012
- Program Name: la_120926.mp3
- Length: 59:06 minutes (54.12 MB)
- Format: Stereo 44kHz 128Kbps (CBR)
CHILD MIGRANTS CAUGHT IN THE SYSTEM. Even as overall migration from Latin America has fallen, more and more unaccompanied minors are being caught crossing the border and put into deportation proceedings. Many of these children, some as young as 6, are left to navigate the immigration judicial system alone, without representation. Legal advocates talk about the detention facilities and legal protections for these minors, and the problems they face during their hearings in court.
Guests: Nithya Nathan, Staff Attorney, Immigrant Children Assistance Project, South Texas Pro Bono Asylum Representation Project (ProBAR), Harlingen, TX, http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_services/immigration/projects_i... ; Kathrine Russell, Coordinator of Pro-Bono Services, Kids in Need of Defense (KIND), New York, NY, https://www.supportkind.org