Línea Abierta : DOMESTIC VIOLENCE PROTECTIONS AT RISK.
- Title: DOMESTIC VIOLENCE PROTECTIONS AT RISK.
- Guest: María Cardona
- Additional Guests: Antonio Ginatta
- Host: Samuel Orozco
- Date: MONDAY, MAY 14, 2012
- Description: DOMESTIC VIOLENCE PROTECTIONS AT RISK. The House of Representatives is considering a Republican-backed bill that would gut many of the protections of the Violence Against Women Act, that grants protections to victims.
- Genre: News
- Location: Oakland, CA
- Program Number: 6681
- Producer: Samuel Orozco
- Progam Number: 6681
- Publisher: Radio Bilingüe
- Rights: Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License
- Subject: Politics
- Year: 2012
- Program Name: la_120514.mp3
- Length: 59:06 minutes (54.12 MB)
- Format: Stereo 44kHz 128Kbps (CBR)
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE PROTECTIONS AT RISK. The House of Representatives is considering a Republican-backed bill that would gut many of the protections of the Violence Against Women Act, the federal law that grants legal protections to victims of domestic and sexual violence. According to analysts, the bill undermines protections for Native American women and lesbian and transgender women. The bill also undermines the U-visa program, which allows immigrant victims of serious crimes to stay in the U.S. to assist law enforcement in prosecuting the crime, and puts battered immigrant women and their families at risk.
Guests: María Cardona, Democratic Party Political Strategist, Dewey Square Group, Washington, D.C., http://deweysquare.com/ maria- cardona ; Antonio Ginatta, Advocacy Director, Human Rights Watch, Washington, DC, www.hrw.org