Línea Abierta : STUDENT DEBT. ALSO, LISTENER COMMENTS.
- Title: STUDENT DEBT. ALSO, LISTENER COMMENTS.
- Guest: José Rico.
- Additional Guests: Lucero Castañeda,
- Host: Chelis López
- Date: THURSDAY, MAY 3, 2012
- Description: STUDENT DEBT. Tuition and fees for U.S. universities have more than doubled in the past twenty years, forcing students to borrow ever-growing amounts of money to pay for college.
- Genre: News
- Location: Oakland, CA.
- Program Number: 6674
- Producer: Samuel Orozco
- Progam Number: 6674
- Publisher: Radio Bilingüe
- Rights: Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License
- Subject: Economic Development, Education.
- Year: 2012
- Program Name: la_120503.mp3
- Length: 59:06 minutes (54.12 MB)
- Format: Mono 44kHz 128Kbps (CBR)
STUDENT DEBT. Tuition and fees for U.S. universities have more than doubled in the past twenty years, forcing students to borrow ever-growing amounts of money to pay for college. With college graduates now owing an average of more than $25,000, interest rates on subsidized loans are set to double in July, which could affect almost one million Latino students. President Obama is calling on Congress to act to stop the interest rate hikes.
Guests: José Rico, Executive Director, White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics, Washington, D.C., http://www2.ed.gov/about/inits/list/hispanic-initiative/index.html ; Lucero Castañeda, Student of Ethnic Studies at University of Oregon, and Board of Directors of United States Students Association, Eugene, OR, www.usstudents.org
ALSO, LISTENER COMMENTS. This edition includes a special section dedicated to comments from our radio listeners, who share their opinions on current events, including the upcoming elections, tax hike proposals, the health reform law, the case against Arizona’s immigration law in the Supreme Court, and more.