Línea Abierta : TRAGEDY ON THE JOB.
- Title: TRAGEDY ON THE JOB.
- Guest: Lupe Martínez
- Additional Guests: Icasio Ramírez, Faustina Ramírez
- Host: Chelis López
- Date: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 14, 2011
- Description: TRAGEDY ON THE JOB. Brothers Armando and Eladio Ramírez died after being overwhelmed by toxic fumes at a recycling plant in Central California.
- Genre: News
- Location: Oakland, CA
- Program Number: 6532
- Producer: Samuel Orozco
- Progam Number: 6532
- Publisher: Radio Bilingüe
- Rights: Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License
- Subject: Environment
- Year: 2011
- Program Name: la_111114.mp3
- Length: 59:05 minutes (54.11 MB)
- Format: Mono 44kHz 128Kbps (CBR)
TRAGEDY ON THE JOB. Brothers Armando and Eladio Ramírez died after being overwhelmed by toxic fumes at a recycling plant in Central California. The brothers, 16 and 22 years old, were cleaning an underground drainage tunnel when they were reportedly exposed to hydrogen sulfide. Community members are calling for the plant to be shut down, citing former reports of unsafe working conditions. Were the workers wearing personal protective equipment? Were they supposed to be assigned to the tunnel in the first place? Had the plant been visited by state inspectors? This program examines these and other issues.
Guests: Lupe Martínez, Organizer, Center for Race, Poverty, and the Environment, Delano, CA, www.crpe-ej.org ; Icasio Ramírez, Uncle of Armando and Eladio Ramírez, Arvin, CA; Faustina Ramírez, Mother of Armando and Eladio Ramírez, Arvin, CA.